Saturday, June 10, 2017

How to Make a Stroller Mobile

I made this simple stroller mobile and thought I'd share the process in case you (like me) have a stash of amigurumis lying around. If you don't, never fear! I have patterns for those linked as well.
Here's the mobile spread out. You could use any amigurumis for this, this is just what to my eye looked cute.
You'll need some amigurumis (I used cloudsbirds and a rainbow, click for the patterns), some sturdy cotton yarn (I don't recommend wool for this, because sometimes it can thin out and break, if you have elastic yarn, you could use that too), and two clips (mine are from an old pair of suspenders I got at second hand for 50 cents).
  1. Measure your stroller where you want to hang the mobile, your amigurumis will need to fill this space.
  2. Then the fun part, making amigurumis! I made cloudsbirds and a rainbow, but there are tons more free patterns on my blog and around the internet. I have links to some of my favorites on my amigurumi Pinterest board. Or use what you already have.
  3. Plan how you want to arrange your amigurumis, and measure them so that you have the right length for your stroller.
  4. Thread through the amigurumis. If your needle isn't crazy long you'll need to "come up for air", just push the needle out from the side, then push it back in at the exact same spot and thread on (the two upper pictures). When you reach the end just pull the yarn tight and it'll settle nicely inside the amigurumi. You'll also have to pay attention where you place the thread, too low and the amigurumis will flip over. Cut the yarn and leave a long tail.
  5. Take your clips and single crochet over the loop like you would in a magic ring. How many sc you crochet will depend on your clip.
  6. Take the yarn with the amigurumis and sew each end firmly into the middle stitches of the clips. Knot the yarn firmly and hide the ends on the backside.
  7. Clip on to your stroller out of the baby's reach.

Here's a close up of one end. As you see, you'll probably need to thread the yarn a lot higher across the amigurumi than you'd think.
I'm not an baby safety expert, I used mine as just a mobile to be looked at. But if you do hang this so that the baby can play with it, please don't leave your kid unattended with it.
 And here it is hanging in our stroller.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...